Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Smoked Brisket


I wondered if i could ever do one of these justice and I think I did.  

Brisket log

Monday got 11 lb brisket for $65.50
Tuesday got 50 lbs. white oak logs for $45.00
Cleaned out smoker, grates, convection plate, bottom of smoker, grease drip pan.


Took stock of wood and charcoal, 3 bags of charcoal, 50 lbs logs and 40 lbs of fist-sized oak chunks plus another 25-30 lbs of hickory and apple chunks.

I figure I don’t have enough wood for a 12 hour smoke but only need 5 or 6 hours of smoke so plan to start and finish with charcoal.

Tues, afternoon, cleaned kitchen, trimmed brisket, slathered it with vinegar, then added my favorite rub, Recovered brisket and re refrigerated it. Cleaned kitchen again. split enough logs to get started tomorrow.






Untrimmed

trimmed


Underside trimmed of silver skin and hard fat


slathered with vinegar on top and mustard on bottom,  rubbed. Rub recipe below. Re wrapped brisket and refrigerated overnight. 




Wed.  @ 4:00 am Awoke to the sound of pouring rain.  I hoped the wood was staying dry. I covered it with plastic last night. It was supposed to rain a little last night, be cool and cloudy today. Friday and Sat. are suppose to be really rainy. 


@ 4:30 am took brisket out of refrigerator, took shower and got dressed.
@ 5 am planned to start fire but it is still raining too much.  Went back upstairs and took a splinter out of my finger that i got while splitting wood last evening.


Rib rub:  I was out of onion powder and white pepper so left them out.  I was going to use some steak seasoning from Penzey’s but at the last minute, decided I didn’t like the smell of it for brisket and so made a double batch of this rub.

2 tablespoons sugar 
1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon white pepper
1 teaspoon black pepper

5:30-6:00 am
 Started fire for smoker. Made coffee, boiled a pot of water for smoker, added it to smoker, stoked fire, added oak logs (sticks).  Chimney vent fully open, fire box door open. Mixed 3/4 apple juice with 1/4 vinegar for spray bottle.

Last week when I smoked pork and pastrami, I did it at 275 as Franklin does.  Since my thermometer is high and his is at grate level, I figure my smoker was going hotter at grate level and deemed 275 on my thermometer as a little too high. I usually run it at 230-240 but plan to keep it around 250 today.

6:15 am Smoker @ 230º, put brisket on, closed firebox door but left damper fully open.  It is still raining but not pouring like before.

6:30  @ 240º, added log, closed damper to 1/2 open.  Had breakfast.

6:45 @ 245º
7:00 raining hard again, @ 225º
7:05 @ 180º
7:10 @ 200º  added log, opened fire box door. Pouring rain now. Outside of fire box steaming, outside of smoke chamber wet.  Grease bucket filling with water.  Going through wood faster than I expected.
7:20 @ 150º, added logs
7:30 @ 140º
7:40 @ 140º added charcoal
7:45 @ 150º partially closed firebox door.  
7:53 @ 240º
8:00 rain letting up. @ 265º closed firebox door, damper fully open.
8:15 @ 305º closed damper completely. Chimney flue still fully open.  Rain has stopped.
8:30 @ 250º
8:45 @ 245º opened flue to 1/4 open. Added log
9:00 @ 245º added charcoal, spritzed brisket with apple juice / vinegar mixture.
9:30 @ 245º added a log
10:30 @ 240º cleaned dead ashes from firebox to improve airflow, added log.


11:00 @ 255º spritzed brisket with juice & vinegar mix.  Front end is looking like it has enough smoke.  Back is still not ready for wrap, I think. Will take it’s temperature in half an hour.


11:20 am @ 250º  5 hours of smoke.

Time to wrap, I think.


 

11:40 Added charcoal,  spritzed and wrapped.  Franklin brushes sauce on inside of his paper before wrapping. I didn't do that. I forgot.

11:50 @ 300º  Closed damper. Have switched to all charcoal.  No need for any more wood.
12:30 pm @ 250º
1:00 pm @ 220º added charcoal
1:30 pm @ 220º  Brisket temp. is 204 at both ends.  It's done. and resting. I won't have to get up so early next time.... if there is a next time.

Done. Juicey and tender.




BBQ Beans

can  Baked Beans
Oklahome Joe rib rub
Brown sugar
Night of the Living Dead BBQ sauce
Molassas

chopped brisket including crust from burnt end and fat.



No comments:

Post a Comment