Saturday, March 4, 2017

Kalbi. I cut and marinated it, Charlie made the baste and grilled them.



They had a brisket point in the store. They never have the point, it's always the flat. I looked at it a long time, came back to it and looked some more. I already have a point in the brine for corned beef and smoking the point will take all day and this time of year, I might have to spend a lot of time outside with the smoker in cold, rain or maybe even snow so I decided not to get it, but it was really tempting.  A few feet down they had beef short ribs.  The were not LA cut so I had to cut them Korean style then used Charlie's recipe for the marinade to make kalbi.  Turns out it was an old recipe of his and he added some more sesame seed oil and pear nectar and boiled it down for basting it while it was on the grill the next day.  Here is our joint effort. I made the marinade and put it in the refrigerator over night, and he grill them. With them we had two kinds of kim chi, laver and rice.

Charlie’s Kalbi

2 packeges 3 lbs 
Serving 4 strips/2 ounces

1/2 Cup. soy sauce
6 teaspoons sugar ( 3 oz)
5 teaspoons water
4 talebspoons Korean rice wine/sherry
3 tablespoons corn syrup
1 Tablespoons minced garlic /2 tbsp
1.2 teaspoonsgrated ginger
1/2 Cup sesame oil
1 cup Coca Cola
chopped green onions

pinch pepper

No comments:

Post a Comment