Friday, August 24, 2018

Cuban Sandwich 

Prep Time: 5 minutes  Cook Time: 5 minutes  Yields: 1 sandwich

I used 4 Boule bread loaves, pork loin cut in small breakfast size pieces and pounced them out flatter. I used chicken breast instead of turkey, also pounded flat.  I think next time I should use more ham and cheese. I should use whole pickles cut long ways instead of hamburger dills.  I cooked them on the griddle built into my stovetop and used cast iron bacon presses to weight them down.

Ingredients
  • 2 LOAVES BREAD (PREFERABLY ONE CUBAN BREAD ROLL)
  • MUSTARD TO TASTE
  • MAYONNAISE TO TASTE
  • BUTTER FOR THE OUTSIDE OF THE SANDWICH
  • 2 SLICES TURKEY BREAST
  • 2 SLICES ROAST PORK
  • 1 SLICE HAM
  • 1 SLICE SWISS CHEESE
  • 4 SLICES PICKLES

Difficulty: Super Easy
If you're a meat-lover, this iconic Cuban dish is pure sandwich heaven! Its secret? The butter goes on the outside!
I've always heard my grandma talking about the insanely delicious Cuban sandwich her mother used to make for her. So after long searching I finally found my great-grandmother's recipe. When making them, I wasn't all that excited about combining pork ham and turkey in one sandwich. Especially with Swiss cheese! But was my grandma right. The combination of those three meats with Swiss cheese and pickles is sandwich perfection!
For the most authentic taste, don’t use standard processed cold cuts when making this sandwich. If you do use cold cuts, make sure they are sliced thick.


Directions

  1. Split the loaf and spread with mustard and mayonnaise.
  2. Layer the remaining ingredients and top with the other half of the bread. Lightly butter the OUTSIDE of the bread and wrap the sandwich in aluminum foil.
  3. Place on a skillet over low heat. Squish it with a heavier skillet on top of the wrapped sandwich and keep it there for a minute or two. Flip over and repeat for another minute or two. Unwrap and eat.
  4. Enjoy with shoestring potatoes or the chips of your choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment