Sunday, November 4, 2018






Fancy Meatloaf
SAM SIFTON
YIELD  Serves 6 to 8  TIME  80 minutes

Norm notes. I did this recipe about 6 months ago. This time I made the following changes: I used two bratwurst sausages instead of the veal, I left out the wine and butter and olive oil.  I used about 3 stale hamburger buns for the bread. II topped it with a paste made with brown sugar and ketchup and also topped it with bacon.  The potatoes I added did not get done so I had to finish them for 2 minutes in the microwave.  The broccoli got too done but I ate some anyway. I sort of liked it.  I did not brown it in a skillet before roasting it. I just put it on the pan with a thermometer and took it out at 150 degrees. I did not need to baste it because the bacon kept it basted for me.

INGREDIENTS
½ loaf Italian bread, crust removed, torn into small pieces (about 2 cups)
cup whole milk
pound ground beef
pound ground veal
large eggs, scrambled
ounces thinly sliced pancetta, chopped
¾ cup grated Parmesan
bunch parsley, cleaned and finely chopped (about 1 cup)
teaspoons grated lemon zest
Kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
¼ cup butter
cup dry white wine

PREPARATION
  1. Heat oven to 375 degrees. Soak bread in milk for 10 minutes.
  2. Mix beef, veal, eggs, pancetta, Parmesan, parsley and lemon zest in a large bowl. Season liberally with salt and pepper. Squeeze the bread to remove excess milk, then chop and add it to the meat. Mix gently until well combined, but do not overmix. Transfer onto a board and shape into a fine meatloaf, shy of a foot in length and 4 inches across. Loosely cover and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
  3. Heat oil and butter in a large, ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add meatloaf and sear without moving it until it is browned, about 5 minutes. Carefully slide a spatula under the meatloaf, then gently use another spatula to help turn it and brown the second side, again without moving it for 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
  4. Pour out all but 2 tablespoons of the fat, return skillet to the stove and raise heat to high. Add wine and deglaze pan, scraping up browned bits stuck to it with a wooden spoon. Return meatloaf to the skillet and then transfer to the oven, basting occasionally with the pan juices, until a meat thermometer inserted into the center of the loaf reads 150 degrees, about 25 minutes.
  5. Transfer the meatloaf to a platter and let stand, tented with foil, 10 minutes. Slice, pour the pan juices over the top and serve.


No comments:

Post a Comment