Sunday, October 22, 2023

Turkey practice: Trying a different way before The Day


Nobody wants to take chances and try something new on Thanksgiving.  I don't.  It's too important for your guests to be experimenting for that meal.  For years I wanted to try to find a way to cook turkey so the white meat would be juicy and the dark meat would not be undercooked or done dark meat and dry white.  I thought maybe there might be two possible ways to do that.  One would be to cook the two meats separately.  Another possibility would be to butterfly the bird.  I came across a video for doing the butterfly method by Thermoworks on youtube.  I was surprised to find that they cooked the breast to 157 and the dark meat came out between 195 and 205 and that is what is a good temperature for dark meat and the  temperature of the white meat, upon resting will climb up to 165 and the skin is crisp, the breast meat is juicy and the dark meat has better flavor than the regular Norman Rockwell cooked turkey that grandma is bringing to the table.  I am glad I took the time to try this was and it's how I will do turkey from now on.  I made broth with the spine and neck + onion, carrots and celery.  I used some of the broth to make stuffing and the rest along with the turkey juices in the pan to make gravy.  The video is at youtube by ThermoWorks How to Cook Spatchcock Turkey    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=im4qdseGV8E

No comments:

Post a Comment