This sure isn't chili wheather but I read an article in the newspaper titled "How to Use Baking Soda with Ground Beef" It says this technique is most useful in recipes where you wand distinct, flavorful crumbles of ground beef with plenty of browning. It says it also keep very lean ground beef moist. It says it is helpful for Chili, Taco meat,Sloppy Joes, and meaty pasta sauces.I decided I wanted to try it first with a pot of chili.
The amount used is 1/4 teaspoon baking water dissolved in 1 tablespoon of water. You gently work it in and let it set for 15 minutes. Serious Eats test found that it can rest for up to an hour wont hurt. Once the time is up, you cook it as normal. My chili recipe cooks the onions, garlic and green peppers first so the beef didn't really get a good browning test. It does seem a little thinner than usual but I can't say it was the baking soda's fault. I am going to suspend judgement on this technique for a while. Right now the chili is too hot and need to cool down. The article said of taco meat, it helpe the beef stay juicy while developing deep, browned edges. That is what a plan to try next. If anyone here tries this I'd enjoy hearing your comments
No comments:
Post a Comment