Thursday, September 21, 2017

Pot Roast with Mushrooms, tomatoes and red wine.

Pot Roast with Mushrooms, Tomatoes & Red Wine

Prep time 20 mins Cook time 4 hours Total time4 hours 20 minspastedGraphic.png

A fabulous pot roast adapted from America’s Test Kitchen
Author: Liz Berg               Serves: 6-8 servings

I made this in the Instant Pot. It took 35 minutes. I used beef broth and white wine instead of chicken broth and red wine because that is what I had and didn't want to the other.  This was our lunch and probably will be dinner too.  I didn't take a picture.
Ingredients
3-4 pound chuck roast, I recommend Certified Angus Beef brand
Salt and pepper
Olive oil
Medium onion, chopped
2-4 carrots, chopped
2 carrots, peeled and cut into into chunks
1 stalk celery, chopped
8 ounces button mushrooms, cleaned and halved or quartered
2 cloves garlic, minced Coupons
2 teaspoons sugar
1 cup chicken broth
½ cup dry red wine
1 sprig thyme
1 can (14½ ounces) diced tomatoes with juice
1½ cups water
1 sprig rosemary

Instructions

1 Preheat oven to 300ยบ.
2 Pat chuck roast dry with paper towels. Sprinkle both sides with salt and pepper. In a Dutch oven, heat a tablespoon or two of olive oil, and sear both sides. When browned, remove roast to a plate. Add a bit more oil if the pan is dry and saute onion, carrots, celery, and mushrooms until soft. Add sugar and garlic and allow to cook about a minute.
3 Add the chicken broth, red wine, thyme, and tomatoes. Return roast to pan and add water. Allow liquid to come to a simmer, then cover the top of the pan with foil and top with the lid. Place in oven cook about 3½ to 4 hours, flipping meat every 30 minutes (as your schedule allows) until the roast is tender and falling apart.
4 Remove meat from pan and add rosemary to liquid in the pan. Reduce liquid to about 1½ cups, then discard thyme and rosemary. Season with salt and pepper if needed (I added almost a teaspoon of salt and ½ teaspoon of pepper). Cut meat into slices or shred into large pieces, removing fat as necessary. Add meat back to the sauce and stir to combine.

5 Serve over mashed potatoes or your favorite starch.

2 comments:

  1. Norm this looks delicious. I am a new IP owner and I would love to try this. THANKS, and I miss talking to you more. Hope all is well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss hearing from you more often too. This pot roast was good. I didn't have chicken stock or red wine so I used beef stock and vermouth.

      All is well with me. I hope all is well with you too.
      Norm

      Delete