Friday, May 25, 2018

Ham Shanks and Beans with carrots and bok choy.


Supper for tonight is made. I took pictures early.  I didn't have any idea what to make for supper but I saw a cake recipe on line that I wanted to try and while I was at the store, I saw they had some meaty looking ham shanks and decided to make that with some navy beans, carrots and baby bok choy. 
The beans were boiled in water for a couple minutes, allowed to sit an hour then cooked for two hours with 1 Tbs. brown sugar, 1/8 tsp. ginger, 1/4 tsp. cloves and 1/2 tsp. cinnamon. It was cooked in chicken broth with 4 ham shanks.  About 45 minutes before they were done, I added an onion and a couple of carrots, then 15 minutes before done, I added some baby bok choy.


The cake was one of those gimmicky ones that I fall for now and then and end up sorry I bothered.  It was a box of chocolate cake mix and a can of cherry Dr. Pepper and some maraschino cherries chopped up and added.  The icing was just powdered sugar and butter with a little maraschino cherry juice.  The icing was too sweet for my taste and i think the cake would have been better with the regular eggs and oil. 

No comments:

Post a Comment