Monday, July 22, 2024

Pork Shoulder in the Smoker


Charlie was telling me about his plans for his birthday party early next month.  He is planning hamburgers and hot dog on the grill.  I said I could do something in the smoker if he liked.  He remembered Mr.Kim, our next door neighbor in Junction City and he and his brother borrowed our smoker (different one) to do a small pig.  He said they basted it with tons of sesame seed oil and it was so good.  I told hime I could get some pork butt and experiment  Today I did. One was marinated overnight with a marinade that had sesame seed oil in it, the other was injected with a liquid with sesame seed oil inside it. It took about six hours in the smoker and  I basted both of them with a mixture of 1/2 cup light soy sauce, 2 Tablespoons of sesame oil, 1 teaspoon each of granulated onion and granulated garlic. a half teaspoon of grated ginger and 1/8th teaspoon red pepper powder.
When they came out, we couldn't tell any difference.  When they are cool enough to chop up, maybe there will be a difference... maybe not.  In any case they were both tender and juicy at least.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment