Wednesday, August 14, 2024

Tacos



 Our back-yard neighbors gave us sone tomatoes so I told Charlie that I was going to make Pico de Gallo with a couple of them.  He said "lets have tacos with it then" I said OK and headed to the Mesican grocery because their avocados are ripe enough to use the same day and you can't rely on getting them like that anywhee else.  While I was there, I decided to get some of their Pico de Gallo because I didn't feel like making both Guacamole and a salsa before making the tacos. Also Pico de Gallo is better the next day. I'll make some tomorrow and if  I like theirs better.  I am pretty sure garden fresh tomatoes will be really good for as long as they last.  I've never had good luck with growing my own.

I make taco meat by cooking half a small onion until transparent, then adding a pound of hamburger and cook it until browned through.  I add Spanish Gardens taco seasoning until it  looks red enough.  Then I add about 3 heaping tablespoons of refried beans and stir them in. Nest I add  a taco sauce instead ot the water that the taco mix asks you to add. It's done when the liquid in the taco sauce has cooked down.


 Guacamole

PREP TIMe 10 mins TOTAL TIME 10 mins SERVINGS  2 to 4 servings

Be careful handling chilis! If using, it's best to wear food-safe gloves. If no gloves are available, wash your hands thoroughly after handling, and do not touch your eyes or the area near your eyes for several hours afterwards.

Ingredients

2 ripe avocados

1/4 tsp kosher salt + to taste

1 T. fresh lime juice

2 to 4 T. minced red onion or thinly sliced green onions

1 to 2 serrano or jalapeños, minced

2  T.  cilantro leaves and tender stems

pinch black pepper

1/2 ripe tomato, chopped, optional

red radish or jicama for garnish (optional)


Cut out the avocado into small chunks. Original recipe says to mash but I like it a little chunky.

Add rest of ingredients and stir to mix.


 Pico de Gallo

Pico De Gallo is a popular Mexican salsa that's loaded with fresh tomatoes, onion, jalapeno, cilantro, and lime juice. Pico De Gallo is excellent over tacos, burritos, nachos, or served with chips. 
Author: Natasha of NatashasKitchen.com
Servings: 6 as an appetizer
Calories: 20
Prep Time: 15minutes 
Total Time: 15minutes 

Ingredients 

  • lb tomatoes(3-4 medium), diced
  • 1/2 medium onion(1 cup chopped)
  • 1 jalapeno pepperseeded and finely minced (optional)
  • 1/2 cup cilantrochopped
  • 2 Tbsp lime juicefrom 1 lime
  • 1/2 tsp saltor to taste
  • 1/8 tsp black pepper

Instructions

  • In a medium bowl, diced tomatoes, onion, jalapeno pepper and chopped cilantro. 
  • Stir in 2 Tbsp lime juice and lightly season with 1/2 tsp salt and 1/8 tsp black pepper, or season to taste. Enjoy right away or cover and refrigerate overnight. 

No comments:

Post a Comment