Monday, April 29, 2019

Chislic







Wikipedia says Chislic is a traditional red meat most commonly localized in the state of South Dakota.  I first had it in Junction City,  Kansas about 45 years ago.  A fellow teacher from South Dakota had it at a party he threw. He served it as skewered lamb that he got by the case at a butcher shop in his home town.  He said it was a popular bar food there.  A few years later he bought a couple acres outside of town thinking he could earn some summer money by growing vegetables.  Another teacher with a tractor dug a pond for him.  It was doughnut shaped because he piled the extra dirt up in the middle.  The vegetable idea didn't work out but Don started having his chislic parties out there.  He build a bridge to the island in the middle of his pond then started building stuff there with stone he got from an old farmhouse and wall being torn down.  He didn't build a live-in castle. Basically it was an upper and lower patio.  The lower one had a pool with a fountain and water fall coming down from where the upper one where he built some towers and a wall.  Over the years, he added to it and people donated stuff like stain glass windows and flags. With stoneware pottery, I made some gargoyles, a moat monster, a bridge troll and a plaque that said Schloss  Insel (Castle Island).  I have not seen him in the seven years I have lived in Kansas City and I hear the castle is closed and his health is not good.

I saw some lamb at the store and decided I'd give a try to doing some chilsic.  I marinated it in olive oil, onions, lemon juice and red pepper.  While grilling it I sprinkled it with Creole seasoning.  Charlie said it was delicious and tasted just like Dons.  I also made some corn. First I grilled them, then cut off the cob and heated with evaporated milk, honey and butter.  The snow peas where cooked with olive oil, garlic, ginger and soy sauce.
One of my gargoyles at the castle.

No comments:

Post a Comment