Saturday, March 28, 2015

BBQ Fatties or Bacon Sushi

My nephew is having a bacon and bourbon party next month and I have been trying to think of something to take.  Mary Frye posted someone's picture of a fattie that they called bacon sushi.  I had never made a fattie before so thought I'd try some ideas and possibly get something to take to my nephew's party.

First I roasted some pobablo peppers


 Next, not pictured, I rolled out some hamburger between two sheets of plastic, then put some bacon on top.
 I 

I wove some thick cut bacon and some thin cut bacon tothether


Then I placed a sushi roller on top and inverted the hamburger and bacon so the roller and bacon were on the bottom

After I inverted the meats I sprinkled the hamburger with BBQ rub,




Then put some cheese and poblano in the middle and rolled it up



When it was almost rolled up, I scraped away some of the hamburger so the bacon would be the last part of the roll.

The first one I tried was kind of messy.  This is the second one and it turned out better. I used pineapple bratwurst instead of hamburger in this one and some queso quessidilla sp? cheese and no bbq rub in it.

I have seen BBQers do this for several years. I have never seen one tied up with string, but I felt better with tying them up with string.  After they had cooked for a while, they firmed up and could have probably done OK without the string.










I smoked them for about an hour and a half with apple wood until they were at least 165 inside.



I sprinkled some onion rings on the beef one and left the pineapple bratwurst one plan.  They were basted with a tangy BBQ sauce to which I had added bourbon.



We liked the bratwurst one best.  I may change the BBQ sauce to a sweeter one and add more poblano peppers to the inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment