Saturday, May 27, 2023

1st time for poultry in the smoker.




I have never had any interest in smoking a bird before. Probably because I once had a smoked turkey at a Church social and didn't like it. But now I think it was the fault of the kind of smoke used that I didn't like.  I want to try some things different this year.  One was to do a chicken the other is to do a chuck roast.

Before I got the chicken, I looked in the Cool Smoke cookbook to see if he had a recipe for a whole chicken.  He did but I didn't really look at it until after I got the chicken.  That is when I found out that it was a involved version of beer can chicken.  First there was a brine that took two days  to make and another day to marinate the chicken.  Finally it was cooked at 400º while sitting on a beer can.  

There is two problems with that.  First I don't think my smoker will get that hot. My grill might but if I put a chicken sitting up, I won't be able to close the lid on either one. 

So I did this: I put a teaspoon of Cajun seasoning in two Tablespoons of softened butter and rubbed it inside the chicken and over and under the skin.  I smoked if for about 1 hour, 15 minutes at 325-350º and sprayed it with a solution of 2 tablespoons of sugar dissolved in 2 tablespoons of water then added 5 tablespoons of lemon juice.  It turned out lightly smoked with a hint of lemon and very juicy. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment